The hard decision has been made for me. Tomorrow, I’m going home.
Less than a week before by dad came to visit I insisted that he buy travel insurance. He almost didn’t do it, but thank God he did – because last night as we were researching flights it occurred to me: most policies include an “emergency cancellation” clause. So we called them up. Their response was no less than heroic. Even in the middle of the night it only took them a few hours to get our medical reports and X-Rays over to a doctor and authorize an emergency flight home. Business class. For both of us.
We’ll fly out first thing tomorrow morning and have a car waiting to take us straight to the hospital in LA. If all goes well he should be under the knife by Monday (unfortunately we arrive on Friday night and the surgeon is out of town for the weekend).
So what of my plans for the future? I’ll be back here in a month to pick up where I left off.
As his medical escort, part of the deal is that the insurance provides me a round-trip ticket back to my point of origin – which is currently Hanoi, Vietnam. So I’ll help him get home, stay to assist in the post-surgery recovery, then head back across the Pacific.
My life in Asia is not yet over…it’s just being put on pause.
Wish us luck.
Note: These posts are behind realtime; the above took place on Thursday, May 5th.